Thursday, June 9, 2011

A HIGHLY Recommended Book for Diabetics

I just finished Not Dead Yet - My Race Against Disease: From Diagnosis to Dominance by Phil Southerland and John Hanc.  This 260 page ebook sucked me in to the point that I finished it in less than 5 days.  I haven't seen the hardback, so I'm not sure if it would have less pages than the ebook.

Phil Southerland is an inspiration to all people battling diabetes.  Diagnosed with type 1 at 7 months old, his mom was told he would be blind and probably not live past age 25.  Being that he is now 29, he has definitely proven them wrong.  The absolutely amazing thing about his journey is that he was a "diabetic" pro bike racer.  We are not talking a bike ride through the neighborhood.  He has journeyed across the U.S. brushing arms with Lance Armstrong.  Phil started Team Type 1, a group of diabetic pro bike racers, as a way to do what he loves and spread the awareness of diabetes.  His driven personality is definitely something to envy.  He is proof that you can succeed and conquer at your dreams, even with diabetes.  You just might have to go about it a little differently than non-diabetics.

These are some of my favorite quotes from the book:


  • "Young people with type 1 diabetes are the experts on their disease.  They're the ones who live with it each day."  ~ Nancy Wright, Phil's pediatric endocrinologist

  • "Once you accept what you've been given, you can move on and focus on a healthy life.  Diabetes has been the driving force that keeps me going daily.  Think of it as a competition, only you are always the leader and can control the outcome." ~ Troy Willard, diabetic athlete

I am so excited to recommend this book to the DOC.  I still have excitement lingering in me after reading the book.  It touched me in a way that I am extremely thankful for.

Follow Phil's blog.  You must watch his videos!



THANK YOU PHIL!!! 

1 comment:

  1. You sold me! I'm going to read it. Thanks for the recommendation. :)

    ReplyDelete