We did this same trip about 6 months prior to Andrew's diagnosis. We all had such a blast and I'm hoping that D and Celiac behave so we can enjoy this trip just as much.
I have a thousand questions and concerns going through my head right now. The following are just a few:
- How in the world am I going to pack enough gluten free food to keep Andrew safe?
- What if Andrew goes low in a coaster line or after he gets on?
- How the heck do you guess a carb count for a gluten free chocolate fondue plate at The Melting Pot?
- How am I going to guess carbs period! We stay on such a strict dietary plan at home, that I'm afraid to see what happens when we stray some.
- I have my Frio pack for the insulin, but what do I do with the meter and strips at the beach?
- How are we going to fit all of our luggage in our van?
- What if Andrew spikes due to my miscalculation? I've never had to correct him before.
- I hope there's enough gluten free restaurants along the interstate to eat at.
The most frustrating thing I'm finding is that the places we will be visiting offer some gluten free options, but they can't tell you what they are until you're there. My son doesn't like salads that much and he's not going to want to eat bunless hamburgers the whole trip. It's vital that I have the right foods for his diabetes and celiac. This is definitely going to be interesting!!!
I'm open to any and all suggestions from those of you that have tackled a long road trip with diabetes in tow.