Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Week of Dinner Ideas - 1

I don't know about you, but when it comes to planning 7 breakfasts, 7 lunches, 7 afternoon snacks, 7 dinners and 7 evening snacks each and every week, it's downright exhausting.

I thought it might be helpful to share some of our favorite dinner menus with all of you.

1.  Grilled Salmon Skewers / Brown Rice / Grilled Zucchini


Since it's summer, I like to grill.  It's quick and lower in fat.  

Get your grill nice and hot.  I take metal skewers and coat them with some olive oil.  Take your salmon, rinse and pat dry.  Cut the salmon into cubes and skewer.  Salt and pepper.  I use a grill liner so the fish does not break apart and fall through the cracks.  Put your salmon skewers on the grill and turn to med-high heat.  You'll want to turn them every couple of minutes so each side gets cooked.  They will flake apart when done.

For the grilled zucchini, I take a whole zucchini and cut it in half.  Make sure you wash it first.  After cut,  brush olive oil on both sides and salt and pepper.  Place them on the grill and cook on both sides until tender.

Serve salmon skewers over brown rice and grilled zucchini on the side.

2.  Grilled Turkey Burgers w/ Cheese (No Bun) / Baked French Fries / Vegetable

I use Ore Ida french fries since they are gluten-free.  Also, you get 3 oz. of shoestrings for roughly 22g carbs (be sure to double check the label).  That's a nice size portion! Add your favorite vegetable on the side.

3.  Chicken Stir Fry / Brown Rice

Stir fry's are a great way to use up leftover vegetable that you have hanging out in your fridge.  You can either cook your chicken in a pan or put it on the grill.  I stir fry all of my veggies in olive oil.  I like to use broccoli, carrots, onion and canned Chinese corn.  The kids love the Chinese corn!  I then add some wheat free teriyaki sauce.  You can also top it with some cashews.

4.  Pork Tenderloin / Roasted Potatoes / Vegetable

I like to grill the pork tenderloin so I can roast my potatoes in the oven.  For the potatoes, I wash and dry some small potatoes.  I cut them each in half and put them in a bowl.  Add 1 onion sliced and some minced garlic.  Drizzle olive oil all over mixture and add salt and pepper.  Pour the mixture on a baking pan and roast at 400 degrees until nice and brown and tender.  It takes about 30 minutes.  Add your favorite cooked vegetable on the side.

5.  Pasta / Turkey Kielbasi / Broccoli

Boil your pasta until tender and steam broccoli.  Meanwhile, take your turkey kielbasi (I use Hillshire Farms) and thinly slice.  Take a skillet, turn to med-high heat and add olive oil.  Wait until the oil is hot and then add your turkey kielbasi.  Keep turning until they all get nice and brown.  Once brown, I will add some water and continue cooking for a couple of minutes so it makes a yummy gravy.

Mix the pasta, turkey kielbasi and chopped broccoli and top with grated parmesan cheese.  

***You must read all turkey kielbasi packages if you are following a gluten free diet!***


1 comment:

  1. Totally taking some of these recipes and trying them out on the fam. Thanks for writing them all out and sharing!!!! <3 you, Nikki!

    ReplyDelete