Saturday, August 13, 2011

Breakfast Changes

If you've been following my blog, you know that we've been having trouble with breakfast spikes and lunch crashes.  Sometimes it's due to a spike over 200 and sometimes it's not.  He was 150 one hour after breakfast this past week and still crashed to 53 at lunch.

I'm stumped, the doctors are stumped, we're all stumped!

This whole next week, they want him to eat the same exact breakfast every day and see what happens.

On the menu:
1 cup Rice Chex
1-1/2 cups Milk
1 slice of turkey bacon
1 cheese stick

Their opinion is that adding a little protein and a little fat might help slow the absorption.  We'll see...... Honestly, I don't feel very confident.  I hope I'm wrong!

My next dilemma is how to handle breakfast once we go back to school full time.  He's been eating breakfast at 9 and lunch between 12-12:30.  For school, I'd like to switch him to eating breakfast at 8 and lunch around noon.  If he continues to crash, that's going to put a big road block in the day.  I don't want to have to treat low's each day before lunchtime rolls around.  He'll be one cranky little bear!

Question:  How do you all adjust for the new school times?

2 comments:

  1. I agree with the added fat and protein. When Ellie just has cereal or toast, her sugars spike into the lower 200's. When we add some meat or cheese, the spike isn't as high and the numbers do not come down as fast which helps hold on until lunch time. A small snack may be needed mid morning if breakfast is pretty early. With D you just have to play around until you find what works for YOUR child. There is never any magic formula that works for too long, either :(.

    Hang in there, girlie. You are doing awschum!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am totally with you on the breakfast problems...but Bean's is she skyrockets and then just stays there!! We are testing out a few 'new' choices...she's quite finicky...to see if it helps. But one thing I know for sure, if she has bread (even with almond butter or eggs for protein) she goes high, big time!
    GOod luck...to both of us!! ;)

    ReplyDelete