Thursday, September 29, 2011

Polenta Lasagna Recipe






POLENTA LASAGNA 

I am all about comfort food!  Since Andrew has celiac disease, we have needed to make some adjustments to our traditional recipes, including lasagna.  I do make lasagna with rice noodles, but the polenta gives a nice change. The kids LOVED it!

Polenta Lasagna Recipe:
2 rolls (16 oz) of refrigerated polenta 
1 onion
1 pound lean ground beef 
gluten free spaghetti sauce (I like Delgrosso's three cheese)
fresh mozzarella ball

1.  Preheat oven to 350F 
2.  Make your meat sauce - brown onion, add beef and add sauce
3.  Slice your polenta into thin pieces - I only used enough to make the 3 rows
4.  Slice your fresh mozzarella - 1/4" slices

Take your meat sauce and pour some on the bottom of a 13 X 9 pan.  Place the sliced polenta over the sauce.  You will make 3 rows, with the polenta overlapping each other.  Top with remaining sauce, and   place fresh mozzarella pieces over the sauce.  Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes.  Then uncover and bake until the cheese is melted, browned, and bubbly.   

**Your left over polenta is great fried in a skillet with oil until crispy and topped with syrup.


5 comments:

  1. This looks good. What exactly is polenta?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Victoria,
    Polenta is ground cornmeal. It's really yummy! You can make your own, but I prefer to buy the premade. I find mine where they sell the prepacked deli meats. It's also sometimes in the dairy/egg section.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! THat looks good, Nikki! And I love the picture-you are so pretty! : ) Has it been up long, or have I been gone too long? ; )

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never heard of polenta. But I saw your comment, so now I know. Looks yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum! I love polenta.

    ReplyDelete