Saturday, October 22, 2011

Edging Up

Between homeschooling, church, Awana, gymnastics, piano lessons, gym class and various appointments, I have unfortunately neglected my blog.

Andrew's diabetes has been behaving for the most part until the past couple of weeks.  I'm noticing that his fasting numbers are starting to creep up a bit.  He had been waking in the 80's.  I've been seeing some 90's and a 102 this morning that made me cringe.

I know a lot of you are thinking, "What the heck are you complaining about?", but I know that this is the  last step to the inevitable failure of his pancreas.  I know that the next step will be adding in long acting insulin, probably Levemir.  We started on Levemir when Andrew was released from the hospital after diagnosis and were able to wean off of it after a couple of months.  This is a scary thought for me since he's still having some 70's and 80's when he awakens.  His pancreas definitely has a mind of its own throughout this honeymooning stage.

We are coming up on his 1 year diabetes anniversary and I have to say that I'm starting to feel some anxiety.  That day, November 23, is the day that our whole life changed.  I praise God that He let us enjoy a wonderful care free vacation to Disney the April prior to his diagnosis of type 1 and celiac disease.  His hand has literally been in every nook and cranny of our lives.  Praise God for his grace (giving us something that we don't deserve)!

As I come closer to Andrew's 1 year anniversary, I'll be looking to the Lord for comfort.  The following verse speaks to my heart and I hope it will speak to you too:

Joshua 1:9 "Be strong and courageous.  Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go."    

2 comments:

  1. Only a month away. I'll be thinking of you guys. I know it's a hard time-and it will probably be every year around Thanksgiving. But..WE got to meet you! : ) Silver lining and all ; )
    Praying for you to see the purpose and plan, hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wouldn't stress the 90s or 102 much, I don't have diabetes and often wake in the 90s, even a 106 and my a1c and labs are normal.I know it just makes it harder to see because of what is inevitable but we are all here for you! Sending big hugs. Xoxo

    ReplyDelete