Friday, March 30, 2012

Nagging Antibodies

At Andrew's endo. appointment this week, they took extra blood to test his celiac antibodies.  They like to test them every 6 months.

When he was diagnosed 1-1/2 years ago,  his tTG (Anti-tissue Transglutaminase Antibody) was at 134.  It was confirmed through a scope that he indeed had celiac disease.   I received his new tTG results this afternoon and they are at 49.

Yes, that's great improvement, but he still needs to get <20 in order for it to be normal.  The thing that stinks is that he was at 47 six months ago.  They aren't budging!

The gastroenterologist does not seem to be concerned as of yet.  He said that sometimes the antibodies just take time to come down.  In the meantime, they want me to see a nutritionist to see if he's getting glutened somewhere.

I took the risk of a gluten/non-gluten kitchen in the beginning.  I'm really hoping that I don't have to change that because my daughter does NOT like gluten free foods, especially the bread.  I actually prefer the Udi's gluten free bread toasted to regular bread.  Each is to their own, I guess.

So, for now, I'm off on an I-Spy label reading adventure game throughout my kitchen.  Anyone want to join me?

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the update, my friend! Sorry it all so confusing . . . yet hopeful!

    ReplyDelete