Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Diabetic Honeymoon

When we left the hospital a month ago, Andrew was taking over 16 units of Levemir and 16 units of Novolog insulin per day.  As the weeks went by, he was experiencing low blood sugars which resulted in lower insulin needs.  I can't believe it, but currently he's only taking .5 units of Levemir per day PERIOD!  We've been able to completely discontinue the Novolog all together.

The diabetic nurses must hate me by now because I'm constantly asking them if Andrew could have type 2 instead of type 1. See, at the hospital they told me that he was showing signs of both type 1 and type 2.  I asked them to run an antibody test to decifer which one it was.  They took the blood and said that they would let me know in a week or so.  Three weeks later, THEY LOST THE TEST!!!  They don't have any idea what happened. Hmmm....Ok, so I asked if they could do it again and they told me to ask at his first endo. clinic appointment.  Unfortunately, that's not until the middle of February.

I'm in the process of having my pediatrician track down the tests needed because I feel like a hamster in a hamster wheel trying to get someone at the hospital to help me get these tests reordered.  Have any of your children experinced a honeymoon?  If so, can you please share them with us.

4 comments:

  1. Nikki - definitely follow up on the antibody test as it is importane to know the results, conclusively. Do you know what his A1C was?

    Ellie started out with 11 units of basal insulin and was taking up to 16 units of her fast-acting insulin in the first month or so, then dropped to as low as 3units/5units. Honeymooning seems to be the answer in our case, as all of her diagnosis tests were indicitive of T1 diabetes.

    If you read my latest post, I did a survey and one of teh questions was about the length of honeymooning.

    So far what you are decribing is VERY common with kids in their first 6-24 months of diagnosis :(.

    Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Amy,
    His A1C was 7.3 at the hospital this November. He had an A1C done over the summer and was normal. His current c-peptide was 1.9 (non-fasting)a week ago. The range was .8-3.1. This is all soooo confusing. I have an appointment with a recommended endo. tomorrow afternoon. I'm off to read your post now. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW. PLEASE keep us posted!!! My daughter didn't have a honeymoon....she was SO SICK and so close to death...all beta cell function was GONE, never to be heard of again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wendy, my heart just breaks when I read your daughter's story. God was definitely watching over all of you that horrible day!

    ReplyDelete