Monday, April 4, 2011

Discouraged

We met with Andrew's gastroenterologist today and to our dismay, his celiac antibodies are higher than when we started!  He was 143 at diagnosis and he was at 148 today.

What am I doing wrong?  I am scrupulous in the kitchen.  Granted he's only been on a gluten free diet for 3 months, but I thought we'd see a little improvement. 

He told us that it sometimes takes time for them to lower, but I still feel discouraged.  We're going to retest in another six months and see where they are then. 

On the upside, I spoke to Andrew's endocrinologist today as well and she explained with his A1C being at 5.2, he's not spiking in between meals.  That's been a concern of mine for some time now.  Now we have to figure out why he's getting lows.

I'm quickly realizing that with diabetes (and celiac), there's never a dull moment. 

2 comments:

  1. That is discouraging. But you have to know that with diabetes (and probably celiac, too), numbers rarely make sense.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really? I mean REALLY really? But you are my mama-celiac hero! You do everything just SO. It must just take longer to show the results. Yes . . . that must be it. Crazy jacked-up numbers. Grrrrrr.

    Oh, and HI!!!! I'm back!

    ReplyDelete