Thursday, August 25, 2011

Mixed Meal Test

I have moved Andrew's breakfast back one hour this week due to starting homeschooling.

Up until this past week, he was going low every day before lunch.  It would not matter what we fed him or how high or low his 1 hour post breakfast spike went.

This week, he's now going low at 11:00 instead of 12:00.  This proves that he drops at the 3 hour mark no matter what.  I worked closely with the nutritionist, lowered insulin amounts (down to .5), fed inbetween snacks and he's still going low.

I received a call from the doctor today that they would like to do a mixed meal test on Andrew.  I'll have to take his breakfast with us (Rice Chex, milk and peanut butter) for him to eat at the hospital.

They will take a base line sugar and c-peptide before he eats and then check insulin levels, blood glucose and c-peptide every 30 minutes for 4 hours.

They told me that he's a VERY unusual case.  It's strange because when he took the glucose tolerance test, he did not drop until 5 hours.  Granted he had a lot larger glucose load than he normally eats.

I hate to sit at the hospital all day, but I hope we can finally get to the bottom of what is causing his lows.

3 comments:

  1. UGH...good luck Nikki. This has to be so frustrating for you and the family. Answers would be a relief, I am sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Nikki....I hope you get some answers.

    If it helps any, you're not completely alone.....Matthew is "unusual" too. At dinnertime. Our doctors can't figure him out:

    From 6pm-10pm WITHOUT food, his basal is dead-on.

    WITH food, he spikes. Every time.

    (They've looked at what he eats and the specific food isn't the issue, he just processes food differently at night.)

    So...we finally had to up his basal significantly then....assuming he'll always eat dinner. It's still an issue though and I guess it always will be for him. :(

    Anyway...this doesn't really help you, but I want you to know that I get the frustration.

    So glad the doctors are helping you. I will pray for wisdom, Sweet Friend. : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. best of luck on the testing, i hope it brings some answers.

    ReplyDelete