Saturday, June 22, 2013

Was it the Vaccination?

Last night I awakened suddenly in the middle of the night with the thought of Andrew's recent vaccinations.  If you've been following my blog, you know that Andrew had a wonderful 2-1/2 year honeymoon.  He was on extremely little amounts of insulin and NO long acting insulin.  The doctors  kept saying that he was definitely an unusual case.

That was until....a couple of days following his meningitis and TDaP vaccinations.

After those vaccinations, his blood glucose numbers went crazy!  We could not get him under 200 in the mornings. Remember, this was after 2-1/2 years of being under 120 upon awakening and having NO long acting insulin.

Needless to say, we are STILL struggling to get his blood glucose ratios figured out.  People might say it was a coincidence, but I don't believe in coincidences.  It is so puzzling that he would go from such a mild case of diabetes to full blown diabetes over night.

Did those vaccinations kill off the rest of his pancreas?  I can't prove it, but the numbers don't lie.




3 comments:

  1. I would definitely draw a line between the two incidents. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder about the vaccinations too. My daughter got her 5 year old shots for Kindergarten in August, she had a bad reaction, swelling on the arm, sore arm, fever and just really sick. She stayed sick off and on and by November she was in DKA and we figured out she had T1D :( My other kids have all had their vaccinations and are okay though. I did get nervous last year when my youngest got his Kindergarten shots though, but so far so good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Nikki,
    Sorry to hear that Andrew has been having trouble with his numbers. I recently read a blog post titled "A Day in the Life of a Diabetic Child." It was written by an American who moved to Melbourne with her family--that's how I found her blog originally. A few months ago her young daughter was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes. The post was quite eye opening. I hope you get things figured out for him very soon.

    ReplyDelete